Country Profile: Guatemala
Influences of the Maya and the Spanish colonists are strong throughout Guatemala, creating a rich and distinctive culture. Much of the clothing and food is still made in the traditional Mayan way in small villages in the highlands, and many Mayan ruins can be found throughout the country. Along the small Caribbean coast, there are influences of African culture in the religious ceremonial songs, dances and food. This diverse history and the natural beauty of the land have created a country rich in interesting and scenic sites.
The prominent religions in Guatemala are Roman Catholic, Protestant and indigenous Mayan beliefs. Sixty percent of the country speaks Spanish, while the other 40 percent speaks Amerindian languages, including 23 officially recognized Amerindian languages.
What we do:
- Project Rescue: In this Day-Care-Center like ministry OM Guatemala helps around 45 children twice a week with food, tutoring, teaching values and mentoring. Also the mothers of the children receive guidance and support in different areas of their lives.
- Medical Brigades: Throughout the year the team goes out with foreign and local doctors to bless poor communities with free medical attention and medicine.
- School visits: The team does programs in local schools with the goal to teach the children Christian values and share about Jesus.
- Mobilization: By visiting local churches, OM Guatemala intents to bring mission awareness to their members and to mobilize those Christians which God has called to serve.
How you can get involved:
- For the rescue project, so that the lives of children can be transformed
- To stop the violence that is happening in this country.
- That the evangelical growth can be fully reflected and have a social and spiritual impact on the nation.
- Pray that unity among evangelical leaders might continue to improve and be maintained, an aim of the Evangelical Alliance of Guatemala, which represents the vast majority of evangelicals.
- Give — Give here (http://www.om.org/en/give) to help support the work of OM in Guatemala.
More information about Guatemala.
- Population: Population: 14,376,881 Annual Growth: 2.50% Area: 108,889 sq km Capital: Guatemala City.
- Official language: Spanish; 22 Mayan Languages
- State of Economy: Guatemala is the most populous of the Central American countries with a GDP per capita roughly one-third that of Brazil's. Coffee, sugar, and bananas are the main products. Even though international investments have increased since the 1996 signing of peace accords, the distribution of income remains highly unequal with around 50% of the population living below the poverty level, which is defined as an income that is not sufficient to purchase a basic basket of goods and basic services.
- Religious make-up: 96.12% Christian; 24.4% Evangelical
- State of the church: While there has been great growth since the 1960s, especially among Pentecostals, much of this growth is superficial, impressive only in number. Discipleship is sorely lacking as a deep value in most evangelical churches.
Guatemala is a land with thousands of churches, but there is little vision to reach others.