Doulos was purchased in 1977. The ship was sold in the first part of 2010, with handover of ownership taking place on 18 March. Over the 32 years she was in service with OM Ships, Doulos welcomed over 22 million people on board during 601 ports of call in 108 countries in Africa, the Americas, Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East and many island nations. During that time, the vessel covered more than 360,000 nautical miles - equivalent to sailing around the world 16 times!
Constructed in 1914, Doulos was recognised in the Guinness Book of World Records as the world's oldest active ocean-going passenger ship.
|Books Purchased On Board||16,930,297|
|Nautical Miles Sailed||364,394|
|Total Ports of Call||601|
|Countries and Territories Visited||108|
|Different Ports Visited||295|
|Port of Registry||Valletta, Malta|
|Built||1914, Newport News, USA|
REGISTRO ITALIANO NAVALE (RINA)
(Reg. No. 23152)
|Cargo (Books)||1037 m³|
|Lube Oil||50 m³|
|Fresh Water||1720 m³|
|Design Draught||5.54 m|
|Main Propulsion Engine||
3 AC Gen Sets 380V 50Hz:
2 Hatlapa W280 30 bar
R-134a Direct Expansion
R-22 Chilled Water
9 Fan Rooms
15 Fan Systems
Hydraulic Capstan (2 drums)
1 Palfinger Crane
- 39.2 kN (4 t) SWL @ 2.5-14 m
Built in 1914 by the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company for the Mallory Steamship Company (USA), Medina was launched on 22nd August of the same year. Her sister ship, Neches, was also completed in 1914. However, this vessel had a brief life history as she sank after a collision along the coast of Devon, England in 1918. Medina had a speed of 14 knots and was described in the September 1914 International Marine Engineering magazine as one of the most modern and largest freight steamships operating on the Atlantic coast. Medina was commissioned into service along the west coast of America during the Second World War by the United States Coast Guard.
In 1948, Medina was acquired by the Panamanian company, Naviera San Miguel SA. The following year she was renamed Roma and converted into a passenger ship with cabins for 287 people and dormitories for another 694 people. As 1950 was the Roman Catholic Holy Year, the ship was used to transport pilgrims to Rome and afterwards carried emigrants to Australia. This second role did not last for long and the vessel was soon put up for sale.
In 1952, she was sold to Giacomo fu Andrea (Linea Costa) and renamed Franca C. Her original steam engine was replaced by a double acting diesel engine. At first she sailed between Italy and Argentina, carrying first, tourist and third class passengers with a capacity for over 900 people. In 1959 Franca C was remodelled into a first class luxury liner. Her cruises were mainly around the Mediterranean ports with occasional trips into the Black Sea. She later pioneered the cruise ship trade out of Miami. During this time one important change occurred (in 1970) when the vessel received a new engine, a set of Fiat diesels.
Franca C was offered for sale in 1977. She was examined and on 4 November 1977, a contract of acquisition was signed and the ship was renamed Doulos. Before commencing her new role, some repairs were necessary. Alterations included the removal of the swimming pool and the construction of a covered book exhibition on the deck. The ship was taken to Bremen, Germany, to be fitted for her new service. On 3rd June 1978, she sailed from Bremen to initiate her new commission.
Click the buttons on the following graphic to see 360° panoramic views of these various part of Doulos. The panoramas will open in a new page so, when you're done exploring, close the page to return to this one to see another part of the ship.