Colombia is situated on the northwest corner of South America and it is the fourth largest country and one of the most populous nations on the continent. The country is divided between huge mountains in the west of the country and forests, plains in the east and is bathed by the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea. Colombia has large oil reserves and is a major producer of gold, silver, emeralds, platinum and coal.
OM was officially established in Colombia in 2010 after many years of having a representation. Colombians have been serving with OM internationally for many years, especially on the OM Ships.
What we do:
- Evangelism: We aim to work alongside the church and Christian organizations in prison ministries, community evangelization and children’s evangelization, adopting special projects (The Potter’s House) and focusing groups at risk like poor women and children.
- Literature distribution and sales: OM Colombia aims to promote a reading culture, providing Christian literature in a variety of subjects to meet the spiritual, emotional and psychological needs of the local community, as well as promoting children literature.
- Equipping & training: Our team provides formal and informal education to believers and sends OM teachers to existing Mission schools to train those willing to serve locally and overseas, and equips the churches who are willing to stand behind them.
- Community Development: We bring hope to prisoners, children in high risk circumstances, needy communities; distributing goods and providing training in various handcraft workshops to improve their living standard.
- Mobilization for Local & Worldwide Missions: We are committed to challenge and encourage the church through our different seminars, workshops, global challenge and global action programs to be national champions of worldwide missions.
How you can get involved:
More information about Colombia.
- Population: Population: 46, 300,196 Annual Growth: 1.47%, Area: 1,141,748 sq km, Capital: Bogotá.
- Official language: Spanish
- State of Economy: Colombia is a middle power with the third largest economy in Latin America, is part of the CIVETS group of six leading emerging markets and is an accessing member to the OECD.
- Religious make-up:(%) 94.42% Christian; 7.5% Evangelical
- State of the church: The church in this northwest corner of South America has been characterized by a slow response to the Gospel. Despite all this, the national church has grown very slowly but steadily. The loss of Catholic hegemony (since the constitution of 1991) to the increase in non-Catholic religious communities is transforming the Colombian religious field. The State, in this religious diversification, has chosen to constitutionally recognize the freedom of religion and equality of all religious communities before the law.