Rich in beauty, history and culture, Russia is the biggest country in the world, stretching across 11 time zones and many changes in culture and climate. We work in great international team, existing out of Russians and foreigners.
After the tremendous social and political upheavals of the twentieth century, Russia is still undergoing a time of change and transformation. The horrors of World War II and seventy years of communism have left an indelible impression on the older generation. During the last 25 years Russia encountered huge economic, technologic, social and religious transitions. In the meantime, social problems such as alcoholism, drug abuse, a rapidly increasing HIV rate, divorce and a growing contrast between the super rich and desperately poor are deeply affecting the daily life of Russians today.
In the middle of all these challenges, OM Russia wants to reach out to the least reached people groups to see vibrant communities of Jesus followers. In Russia there are 173 people groups, half of these groups are unreached. We count it a privilege to reach these people groups in partnership with local churches.
What we do:
- Christian camps: Christian camps are a very effective and culturally appropriate way of reaching the younger generation with the Gospel in Russia. Russian children have long summer holidays and the concept of going away to camp is very established. As sharing the Gospel openly with adults becomes more difficult in Russia, church leaders are recognising the value of ministry with children - both reaching them with the Gospel, and through this ministry, reaching their parents.
- Children at Risk: Poverty is one of the main problems in Russia. Some children don’t have a caring family and a place to feel safe. They might find a place to sleep down the alleyways, behind the graffiti walls, next to the discarded alcohol bottles or perhaps in the decaying wood frame buildings scattered throughout the city. They are teenagers without a family who cares. OM Russia strives to respond to the needs of children and teenagers at risk - to give them a chance of social acceptance, love, care, food, medical help, legal assistance and other, and to help the families of these children to learn how to build a healthy atmosphere of love and acceptance.
- Discipleship Centre: Mentoring, leadership training and mobilising young people are seen as crucial priorities by the local church in Russia. OM Russia is pleased to help achieve these goals by providing a place of formation and training with its three discipleship courses. The goal of the centre is to propel young Russian Christians into active ministry by helping them discover their gifts and by training them to use those gifts more effectively.
- Evangelism and church planting among Central Asians: Migrants have been coming from Central Asia to Russia for many years. Because of the diﬃcult economic situation in their homeland, they come to earn money. According to Russian Migration Service statistics in 2016 the number of migrants in Russia is 3,848,000. Most of the immigrants are Muslims and they are unreached people groups who need to hear the saving message of Christ. They can't openly speak about Christ as Lord in their own home countries because of the control of their Muslim relatives. Having worked among migrants, we can see that there is more openness toward God's Word in Russia amongst these people.
- Sending Russians into Mission: One of OM Russia’s goals is to motivate the local Russian church to be a witness to the utter most ends of the earth, in obedience with Jesus’ command in Acts 1:8: "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." To this end, we are actively involved in sending Russian missionaries out, to help fulfill Jesus’ Great Commission.
- Drug and HIV/AIDS prevention: OM Russia's ministry to those affected by HIV/AIDS or drugs continues to seek to impact Siberia through prevention. OM is teaching people and support groups for those already affected, and is building bridges between local churches and this community on the periphery of society.
- Sports ministry: We realize that the sports ministry provides a great opportunity for evangelism and discipleship. The main goals are: to share the Gospel with people who haven’t met with Jesus yet and prepare disciples.
How you can get involved:
- for revival in Russia
- for mission vision in Russian churches
- for work with unreached people groups
GIVE - Give here (http://www.om.org/en/give) to help support the work of OM in Russia
GO - So many opportunities, such a big country, so few people! Why not join us?
See the job opportunities at http://www.om.org/en/mission-jobs/by-area/asia#russia
Contact us at: email@example.com or visit our website: www.ru.om.org.
More information about Russia
- Population: 146 million
- Official language: Russian
- State of economy: Russia has a developed, high-income market economy with enormous natural resources, particularly oil and natural gas.
- Religious make-up: Russian Orthodoxy - 41%, Islam - 6.5%, Protestantism - 0.2%, Atheism - 13%, Buddhism - 0.5%, Spiritual but not religious - 25%