A voice in the desert
Learning the heart language of locals is intrinsic to effective Gospel witness. The Near East Field offers a variety of language learning options, ranging from formal classrooms to private tutors to GPA (Growing Participator Approach).
Video: Learning Arabic
How you can help
Pray for the Spirit of God to move across the Near East Field, sparking a rich harvest of spiritually interested people. Pray for the local church and believers to be mobilized to lead efforts in relief and evangelism.
Support the work of the OM Near East Field at http://www.om.org/en/give. Join us in equipping the local church to help fulfil the Great Commission!
More information about Jordan
- Population: 7,930,491 (July 2014 est.)
- Official Language: Arabic (official)
- Religious Make-Up: Muslim 97.2% (predominantly Sunni), Christian 2.2%
- State of Economy: With one of the smallest economies in the Middle East, Jordan struggles to provide adequate supplies of water, oil, and other natural resources to its citizens. In the past three years, the government has approved a handful of relief and budgetary supplement packages meant to improve living conditions for low and middle class Jordanians. However, the country continues to rely heavily on foreign assistance, especially as a continued influx of Syrian refugees affects expenditures.
- State of the church: Evangelical believers in Jordan comprise less than .1% of the population. Small fellowships of Muslim background believers have begun to develop. Large areas of the country have no groups of believers gathering in them.
*Stats from The World Factbook (www.cia.gov)